Monday, July 07, 2008

Pet Birds

So this weekend it had rained, and the wind was quite strong ... During that wind, some baby crows fell out of a nest from the top of one of our pine trees. We first noticed it outside in the front, and of course the kids were very interested in it. Since we have a lot of kids in our section, I thought it would be best to move the baby bird to the back yard for the kids safety. The parent crows are very protective of their young (and very annoying too I might add...lol). One of the two birds was learning how to fly today, and as you can see by the pictures, the baby crow just isnt ready yet. Its neat to watch the parent crows feed their baby right in our back yard though. We haven't decided what we are going to do with this bird yet, as it is too little to let out of the yard for the kids safety. And since the parents are still feeding it, we just don't know what to do. I've phoned all over the place seeing if someone will come take these birds, but no one wants them. Not the forestry farm, wild life hotline, spca, animal control....no one. And believe me, I have phoned everywhere, lol. And, I am not the type of person to pack up that little birdie and put him in a box in the trash... as I am pretty sure the parent crows will find it there....I don't want it to suffer either. Here are a few pics of our "pet bird" Enjoy!



The one on the fence is the older baby bird (a fledgeling? I think is what they are called) and it learned how to fly today. But it was stuck on the fence all day deciding what to do.

This is the parent bird watching and crowing as its baby learned how to fly


The Baby bird sitting on my deck


Wanting to come in the house...it sat there for the better part of the day too, but thankfully the girls did not let it in.

2 comments:

Kim Funk said...

haha ohhhh....good on ya for wanting to keep the baby alive. Me on the other hand HATE those crows i think they are the most annoying bird EVER. I bet the girls really liked it!!

Julie Cortens said...

Sounds like a neat experience for the girls....however I am with Kim - NOT my favourite bird. They eat garbage and they eat robins eggs. Noisy too! So it is no wonder no one was willing to take them. Still - a great opportunity for the kids.